History of the Feed Store
New Braunfels Feed Store and Stable, circa 1860, is located adjacent to
the Prince Solms Inn Bed & Breakfast. It was constructed
during the presidency of Abraham Lincoln and served the residents of
New Braunfels through the turn of the century.
It was an integral part of this new community providing supplies to
farmers, ranchers, and local residents. Its convenient location
to the Comal Hotel made it the ideal place for the purchase of supplies
and stabling of horses and storage for carriages. Feed Store
personnel arranged for blacksmiths to shoe horses and make various
wagon and buggy parts not in stock at the feed store.
This 20x60-foot Feed Store had a large wood-burning heater that brought
comfort to patrons on cold days. Farmers and ranchers formulated
business deals while sitting around the heater. One can imagine
that the Civil War was one of the main topics of conversation.
Through the years as the city changed and modernized, the Feed Store
became less important to the downtown area and was used for various
other commercial enterprises.
The foundation, walls and ceilings are cypress. The floors and
interior walls are pine. Square nails were used to secure the
floor and other parts of the structure. The exterior walls are
stucco over cypress studs. Original freight doors open onto the
loading dock on the West side of the building, which is now an enclosed
The worn, stained floors were refinished to reveal beautiful 7-inch
wide tongue and groove honey-gold pinewood. Interior walls of
matching tongue and groove pine and solid pine doors were added to
maintain the character of the building.
Three guest rooms, a full kitchen, and three baths were constructed in
this building. The 11-foot ceilings allowed room for the
construction of lofts in two of the bedrooms. The lofts, which
contain three double beds, are the favorite sleeping and playing areas