| The Feed Store and Stable
The Feed Store and Stable, circa 1860, are located adjacent to the
inn. They were constructed during the presidency of Abraham
Lincoln and served the residents of New Braunfels through the turn of
were an integral part of this new community providing supplies to
farmers, ranchers, and local residents. Their convenient location
to the Plaza Hotel made them the ideal place for the purchase of
supplies and stabling of horses and storage for carriages. Feed
Store personnel arranged for blacksmiths to shoe horses and make
various wagon and buggy parts not in stock at the feed store.
20x60-foot Feed Store had a large wood-burning heater that brought
comfort to patrons on cold days. Farmers and ranchers formulated
business deals while sitting around the heater. One can imagine
that the Civil War was one of the main topics of conversation.
the years as the city changed and modernized, the Feed Store became
less important to the downtown area and was used for various other
foundation, walls and ceilings are cypress. The floors and
interior walls are pine. Square nails were used to secure the
floor and other parts of the structure. The exterior walls are
stucco over cypress studs. Original freight doors open onto the
loading dock on the West side of the building.
worn, stained floors were refinished to reveal beautiful 7-inch wide
tongue and groove honey-gold pinewood. Interior walls of matching
tongue and groove pine and solid pine doors were added to maintain the
character of the building.
guest rooms, a kitchen, and three baths were added. The 11-foot
ceilings allowed room for the construction of lofts in two of the
bedrooms. The lofts, which contain three double beds, are the
favorite sleeping and playing areas for children.